Getting too much shine

T

Tequipment

Before you all think I'm weird, I'm referring to Leather Stuff.

As there were a couple of hours where it'd stopped raining, I decided to attack the interior of my 2010 Audi. I was itching to try out my LS and NL too.

The seats in my Audi are in nearly new condition, with a just a few small creases in the leather of the drivers seat where you climb in and out. They're still matte finish as they were when new, but I thought prevention is better than cure so I decided to give them a go over with the LS.
As they're half leather, I put some wide masking tape on the fabric parts and applied a small amount of LS to a cotton cloth and rubbed it into the leather.
I did the side sections of the bottom part and then used another cotton cloth to buff it off. No matter how hard I buffed, it left it a lot shinier than before.
I wouldn't say it's gloss finish, but it's certainly not matte either. It made the seats look a lot older than they were.

While I was thinking of a solution I thought I'd give the centre cloth section a wipe over with a damp cloth. As I didn't tape off the leather I got the leather damp in one spot too. I buffed it off with a MF towel and to my relief the area that had water on it dried matte again.
I then wiped the rest of the leather over with a slightly damp cloth and immediately buffed them dry with a MF.

What I'm wondering is, did I apply it wrong?
The cotton cloths I had weren't Terry towels, but were my least favourite 100% cotton t-shirts. I've got loads of good MF's, but no cotton cloths so I turned to my wardrobe.

The result after I'd wiped the leather with a damp cloth was fine as it was matte again. Have I settled the product like you can with wax, or have I just removed all of it?

On a positive note - Natural Look is incredible stuff on plastic trim!
It's so user friendly and you can get whatever finish you want. Some of the trim is a matte rubberised finish and this is the only product that cleans it and leaves it like new, without leaving a coating on it that makes it look smeary.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Different materials respond differently to dressings. You may want to try mixing a little Leather Stuff and water to make a dilution more to your suiting, or you could just plan on wiping with a damp rag after application. To each their own, and PB stuff if pretty versatile in being able to be "modified to taste."

T

Tequipment

So you don't think that wiping with a wet cloth will just remove the LS that I'd just put on? That's my concern. To go to all the effort of taping up and applying, only to wipe it off with a damp MF.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
It'll remove some, but you should still have some left behind unless you scrub or wipe lots. As I mentioned, you could try mixing up a weaker solution and see if that is more to your liking. If you do so, mix up only a little bit at a time.

P

Pockets

Try getting a hold of a terry towel ... I think the t-shirt is actually "buffing" it to a shine