EX - what happened?

C

Crazy Banjo

Yesterday I polished my brothers car with a compound and then Polish with Sealant. I finished with a layer of EX. However, it was very difficult - almost impossible - to put an even layer of EX on the car. I am not sure, but it seemed like the oil in the EX vaporised far too quickly.

It was quite strange. When I applied it, I could see large spots with no visible layer of EX - even though I knew I had covered the area - and spots with what seemed as too much EX. Besides, when I buffed the car a few hours later, the result was not as smooth and slick as it was when I had put on the layer of Polish with Sealant.

I didn't do the job in direct sunlight, and it was about 20 degrees Celsius. I applied the EX by hand.

What are your thoughts about this? What do you think happened?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Yesterday I polished my brothers car with a compound and then Polish with Sealant. I finished with a layer of EX. However, it was very difficult - almost impossible - to put an even layer of EX on the car. I am not sure, but it seemed like the oil in the EX vaporised far too quickly.

It was quite strange. When I applied it, I could see large spots with no visible layer of EX - even though I knew I had covered the area - and spots with what seemed as too much EX. Besides, when I buffed the car a few hours later, the result was not as smooth and slick as it was when I had put on the layer of Polish with Sealant.

I didn't do the job in direct sunlight, and it was about 20 degrees Celsius. I applied the EX by hand.

What are your thoughts about this? What do you think happened?

not really sure, but here are a couple thoughts ... temperature sounds good ..process seems good .... not seeing it means you are putting it on thin which is good.

Are you using a damp applicator and what kind? Did you go back and forth over lapping or in circles? was it easy to remove at that point?
I always do 2 layers of a sealant, one right after removing the first, to ensure total coverage.
Waiting about an hour or so is good, too long and you might get some dirt in the air settling on the finish. I prefer to do my work in the sun so that I can see how it all is working ...

C

Crazy Banjo

not really sure, but here are a couple thoughts ... temperature sounds good ..process seems good .... not seeing it means you are putting it on thin which is good.

Are you using a damp applicator and what kind? Did you go back and forth over lapping or in circles? was it easy to remove at that point?
I always do 2 layers of a sealant, one right after removing the first, to ensure total coverage.
Waiting about an hour or so is good, too long and you might get some dirt in the air settling on the finish. I prefer to do my work in the sun so that I can see how it all is working ...

I used this foam applicator: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/foam-wax-applicator/prod_89.html

No, the applicator wasn't damp. I applied the EX in circles. It was quite sticky when I applied it.

C

Crazy Banjo

it should be damp, pretty sure it's on the directions, and i'd go back and forth no circles .. the slightest bit of dirt could cause a swirl when you go in circles

What is damp? Is it a light mist with a sprayer on the applicator, or is it to soak the applicator in water and then squeeze out all the water I can?

I'll try it again soon using your directions.

And there is no way that the EX can have difficulties bonding to a fresh layer of Polish with Sealant?

C

Crazy Banjo

I have a number of mirrors that I sometimes use to test products on. Everything is very easy to see on a mirror. I just applied EX with a dry foam applicator on one of them - and with a damp (soaked in water and squeezed) on another. Yes, it was much easier to spread evenly with the damp applicator :) .

However, the EX dried immidiately and could pass the finger-test on both mirrors within one minute. Is that normal? The temperature was about 22 degrees Celsius. My reasoning is, that as it is advisable to wait an hour before you buff one should think that the product dries slowly - but perhaps I am not correct?

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
What is damp? Is it a light mist with a sprayer on the applicator, or is it to soak the applicator in water and then squeeze out all the water I can?

I'll try it again soon using your directions.

And there is no way that the EX can have difficulties bonding to a fresh layer of Polish with Sealant?

I have a number of mirrors that I sometimes use to test products on. Everything is very easy to see on a mirror. I just applied EX with a dry foam applicator on one of them - and with a damp (soaked in water and squeezed) on another. Yes, it was much easier to spread evenly with the damp applicator :) .

However, the EX dried immidiately and could pass the finger-test on both mirrors within one minute. Is that normal? The temperature was about 22 degrees Celsius. My reasoning is, that as it is advisable to wait an hour before you buff one should think that the product dries slowly - but perhaps I am not correct?

yes, you have it, just needs to be a little damp, whether you soak and squeeze or just lightly mist it ...
Temperature will make a little difference, but it's ok to remove in a few minutes or an hour. When it has flashed it should be easy to remove ... there are too many variables to make an exact time to wait, but I think you are on the right track ;) I personally have never seen a problem with EX over PwS

S

shaheenis

Does this same technique of using a damp applicator apply to EX as-well as EXP? I am using a DA black foam pad to apply but the instructions say nothing about damp pad so a lot of product has soaked into the pad but I am getting excellent coverage and adherence.