EX layering ?

C

craig

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you guys layer EX ? Im planning my winter detail soon & was thinking of layering 2 coats of ex (with 24 hours between coats) after polishing with PWS & topping it off with 2 coats of Natty's Red (again with 24 hours between coats)
How long should I wait after finishing with PWS before I can start with the EX & would it be ok to hose the car with just water between layers (to remove any dust that may settle over night before applying the next layer)
Do you think this will be enough to get me through a typical british winter :smt044
Thanks guys & girls
Craig

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Usually one would put 2 layers on to ensure fully coverage rather than longer protection. You would probably be best to wait a day between coats of PWS and EX to allow proper curing/bonding.
If you have S&W you could use that instead of rinsing the car between coats. Otherwise rinsing may be good enough if you don't have any debris blowing around. If you rinse dust you run the risk of marring your finish by rubbing the debris across the finish.
You don't need to wait between coats of wax.

C

craig

Thanks for the advice :smt048 Sadly I will need to do this detail in 2 parts as my wife needs the car mid week :mad: I know I can get the car cleaned, clayed & polished with PWS on the first day & give it a coat of EX 24 hours later, but the car will be in use after that so will need to be re washed before the second application of EX. I only have SS&W at the moment & am a bit worried the wax content in the shampoo will interfere with the bonding of the second application of EX :shock: Do you think it will prevent bonding or do I need to stop being a big girl & stop worrying :razz:
Thanks dudes
Craig

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
I don't think the bit of wax in the shampoo will destroy your efforts.

C

craig

Thats what i wanted to hear. Thanks for the advice. I will post pictures when i get the job done

C

craig

Just a quick progress report :) So far things are going great & I'm happy to report i am totally blown away by PWS & EX. I will be adding a second coat of EX as soon as it stops raining lol. Because I'm struggling with the weather i was wondering if i could apply Natty's straight after wiping off my second coat of EX, or should i wait for the EX to cure first ???
As always your advice is appreciated ;-)
I hope to have a write up ready to post by Friday
Thanks

C

craig

Might let it sit a day before layering with the Natty's. I bet it has some serious shine going on!

The shine is unreal :) During the summer months i usually go with pp, followed by bh & multiple coats of nattys red throughout the show season ;-) This combination gives my medium green paint super depth & gloss.......but....... i polished/corrected with ssr 1 & 2.5, then pws followed by 2 coats of ex & finished with 2 coats of nattys red & the finish is nothing short of stunning :) sooo much more depth than any other combination i have tried before :)
Like i said I'm totally blown away :)