Detailing Black Ranger, in poor shape...need help deciding

S

SScam68

...what I need.

I have used some of PB's products to do my Trans Am. I removed some of the panels to gain access to areas where dirt was trapped. Everytime I washed the car dirt would be released and just kill it for me :roll:

DSC01235.JPG

DSC01249.JPG

What I started with
DSC01146.JPG

DSC01414.JPG

DSC01425.JPG

All in all she took me 40hrs to work, keep in mind I'm not a pro, and that was the first car I have ever done. I took my time with it, that's for sure.

Now for the Ranger, I snapped these to show the condition she's in.
DSC02206.JPG

DSC02215.JPG

DSC02211.JPG

DSC02213.JPG

There is a white haze over the truck which the pics don't show to well, oxidation?

The cracks in the clear coat are from hail. At this point and time it isn't feasible to get it fixed.

When I detailed the trans am I used SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 with Wolfgang orange and black pads and a PC. I applied, and removed, by hand Zaino but this time I would like to stick with a single mfg.'s product.

What I liked about PB's SSR's is you could choose the level of abrasiveness. I felt it gave me some options to use on different panels vs a "one size fits all" swirl remover.

It's a given I'm going to need SSR 2.5 (maybe SSR 3?) and SSR 1 but I thought I read that PB's recommends Lake Country pads vs Wolfegangs?

After applying SSR1 would it be advisable to use PB's pro. polish and finish it off with Natty's Paste Wax (blue) wax?

Thanks for any insight/help.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
nice work so far :smt023 Wolfgang and Lake Country pads are the same, so the pad and product combo you have used so far is a good choice. You may want to use the Pro Polish before the SSR1 to remove water spots and contaminates in the paint, and then use the SSR1 on a finishing pad at high speed to get a high gloss before using the Natty's. :)

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Pro Polish may help "refine" the finish more to your particular tastes, but it shouldn't be necessary. It depends on if you are going for a clear, shiny look, or a more glossy look.

I wouldn't go out and get more pads if you are able to get the results you are looking for with the ones you have, but, yeah, I've heard Steve recommend Lake Country too. The ones I have are pretty nice. Haven't tried Wolfgang to compare, though.
The orange pads I have really seem to help deal with marring better than the polishing pads. However (as you probably already know) they can leave some marring of their own, especially on black. No problem for SSR1 and a polishing pad, of course. So, with this in mind, try to get the deeper marring gone as best you can with the orange pad, then "fine tune" with the SSR1 and polishing pad.
The haze could be oxidation, or even a result of the marring. Regardless, polishing is needed.
I've seen 1 person (really talented, mind you) use SSR3 on black and get it to work "flawlessly" on some major marring, but if you decide to go this route, be warned-it is potent stuff!! Don't go overboard using it. It is abrasive.

Natty Wax Blue looks nice on black. If you were looking for something a liitle more similar to the Zaino, you might look at EX-P. But if you are looking for more of a carnauba glow, then Natty's is a good choice.

As an aside, if you were to decide to "glaze" the scratches that are too deep to be completely buffed out, you could try PwC, applied with a finishing pad or by hand, with little pressure. It may help a bit. Of course, you'll get a bit of filling with the Natty too.

Hope this helps.