Cure times for products?

N

Nic

On various products I use on my vehicle along with different forums I use. Many detailers apply there products using a PC and allow the products to cure for twelve or twenty four hours, remove the product using a microfibre cloth,then repeat the process.

Does this apply to Natty's or any product from the Poorboys range or is it apply then wipe off?

The cure times allow the wax or polish to adhere to the clearcote, to give a more reflective/deeper shine.

V

VroomVroom

Are you sure the folks are leaving the product on for that long? There's a difference between set-up time and curing time. Set-up is the time between applying the product and removing it. Curing is the amount of time between removing one coat and applying a second (or a separate product entirely).

If I'm working in the shade I will generally apply an LSP to the entire vehicle. If it's a sealant, I'll let it set up for 30 minutes or more prior to removing it. Wax comes off as soon as I'm done applying. One of the awesome features of PB products is that you can apply them in direct sunlight. When doing so, I'll work in a small (~ 2' x 2') area, applying and then removing right away.

I always try to leave 24 hours between coats, but I have been known to top EX w/ Nattys after only a few hours in preperation for showing off a vehicle. Just my take - I hope this helps...I'm sure you'll hear from others as well.

BigLeegr

Token Brute and Chief Bottle Washer
Staff member
Like VroomVroom said, there is a difference between the 2.
I usually check the "haze" to see if it's ready to remove. If the product removes easily, then I'll remove the rest. Heat/sun/humidity all play roles in how soon a product dries.

"Cure" times are in reference to how long before a product finishes "outgassing" (for lack of a better word). Some products require a longer time to "cure" before applying another coat than other products do. If you apply too soon, you may get clouding/hazy looking paint.

I have heard of people leaving a product on their car overnight before removing it, but for me, this isn't feasible, as I don't have a garage, and dust etc. would settle on the car, which would likely induce marring when I removed the residue.

According to Steve, all his LSP's (Natty's, EX, EX-P) need to dry/haze before removing, otherwise you will adversely impact their durability.

N

Nic

My apologies to both VroomVroom and BigLeegr, I have misunderstood the cure times written on other forums, which haven't entirely listed products or procedures to use. However, this area is now clear to me and I will implement this procedure on my next detail.

Thank you guys.

Nick :D