Correct order & any further tips for the ultimate gloss shine

Waz65288

Helper
Hi there I'm new to all this & the detailing world.i recently purchased an Audi Q7 ( metallic Daytona dark grey)& wanted to give it a real shine so this is what I did.
1.Washed car( chemical xxxx shampoo)
2.claybarred car with lube
3.washed car & dried
4.polished car with Autoglym polish
5.PB Blackhole glaze
6.PB nattys blue wax (2 coats) 12 hour break between coats
Took me 4 days in total other half wasn't impressed 😉
All done by hand ,it's the first time I have ever done anything like this to my car.what I wanted to know
Was have I done anything wrong,that could of affected the finish and could of been better,after doing more reading on the net ,it seems I should of used a paint cleaner before the polish,but not sure ,also should of used PB SEALENT OR NOT ,again not sure .It looks like it never ends coat after coat my arms ache man ,but not sure if I've got it right.ANY TYPE OF FEEDBACK WILL BE APPRECIATED.

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
Sounds good with what you said you did.

-Unless ya did it for personal pref. you don't need to wait between layers of wax.

-As far as a 'paint cleaner' before polish step, a polish is a type of paint cleaner so to speak. I sometimes can't interpret whats written the right way, bear with me if I'm off subject lol.

-PB's paint sealant would be an optional step if ya wanted that protection with it as well.

When you're ready for it, dual action polishers with the right chems and pads can be extremely safe and forgiving for anyone looking to improve their speed. Most of the time you'll see better results with machine polishing and glazes, and sometimes better coverage with lsp's. :smt023

ronkh

Da King
Honestly, if it were me an doing it all by hand, I would have skipped the "polish" and gone straight to the black hole, then seal, and/or, wax wax...........

Waz65288

Helper
Ok people now Ive got my car nice & shiny what should I do next to retain that shine.
I understand PB do a detailer which I should use & buff to bring back the gloss.
What about washing,how long does the wax last ,and when to claybar & do polish ,glaze ,wax etc again ,after how long?

johnnyb

Advanced Helper
spray and gloss or qd+ will help ya bring back some shine, when a little dust/dirt gets on the surface.

wax will last depending where you store the car, and the environment you're in. heat and humidity will help naturally strip a wax.

after washing a vehicle I'll check the paints condition to see if it needs wax again soon, if it stopped beading water there's a good chance its ready for re-wax.

to know when it's time to clay again, put a sandwich bag or plastic bag over your hand and feel the paint after washing for grit/embedded dirt.

Waz65288

Helper
Thanks for that , but now I have another problem,car went into dealership for a service & I left a note on dash saying do not wash.Lookslike they didn't see it or it fell off. They have bloody washed the car ,now I can see light scratches,alll the little chips and things that were not too good on the car. So what should I do now? Don't tell me I gotta do all that stuff all over again!
The cars lost its slickness.

Waz65288

Helper
Yes you're right man.but what I'm confused about is that I was going to wash it anyway pretty soon ,so would all that hard work I done just washed away.Or is the way they washed it too harsh or something.Now it's getting cold here in London so I suppose I gotta wait til April next year to have another go at it. Just picked up a LARGE bottle of PB XD detailing spray should I just use that then after I wash til April next year?

ronkh

Da King
If you washed it like they did, all your work would have been in vain.....

What I mean....

They used the same water, detergent brushes, rags, towels that they did for the last 100 cars.......... THey installed all new scratches for you to deal with, much less if they used a harsh soap that stripped your car as well........ Add to the fact that they probably used the lowest priced help in the whole place to do it.

Sorry man. Hang a big sign from the mirror next time.