After the Snow..How to wash without water?

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
@Pockets or Poorboy:
What's the best cleaning procedure after the snow storm?

I take my cars to the self service car wash in NJ. Rinsed down the whole vehile.
Whats the best way to detail after this? That nasty salt residue always remains.

Will QD+ work or is this a job for Spray and Wipe?

Can Pockets do a video showing his procedure? We know you got some snow in NY too.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
Shawn my regiment was to take a garden sprayer with diluted Bug Squash to the self service ... after a light rinse, I would spray the truck with the Bug Squash and give it a couple minutes to start breaking down the salt ... then power rinse ... any white haze that was left was removed while drying and using Spray and Wipe as the drying agent and lubricant... you will need a good amount of Waffle Weaves and DMT's for the job, but this always reduced the marring to a minimum, which was easily removed in the Spring.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
Never thought of using bug squash. Great idea.
I just bought a gallon sprayer last week actually.
Do you recommend a dilution ratio so I don't strip the sealant?

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
I'll be doing my 3 cars if it's not too cold this weekend then. That means the quart I bought isn't going to last the winter.
Guess I'll be buying the gallon next time.
Will Poorboy be driving to NY to be sUre and take some salt samples back to FL on his car? We need to make sure the products continue to perform well. I heard they change the salt formula once in a while.

Poorboy

Founder
Staff member
I'll be doing my 3 cars if it's not too cold this weekend then. That means the quart I bought isn't going to last the winter.
Guess I'll be buying the gallon next time.
Will Poorboy be driving to NY to be sUre and take some salt samples back to FL on his car? We need to make sure the products continue to perform well. I heard they change the salt formula once in a while.

No i will wait until the flowers are blooming and the salt I care for is on my fries ;)

I have had more than my share of winter car cleaning ... don't forget to add a little Bug Squash to your windshield reservoir too ...

btw ... most of the people who really understand Bug Squash, choose the 5 gallon size :D

ronkh

Da King
and then theres this.....................

20140507_131259_zpszb6ytax9.jpg

20140507_171210_zpslltqcqcu.jpg

20140507_171217_zps2eetnyur.jpg

20140508_090355_zps6jgiscm3.jpg

20140508_090400_zps49piddwm.jpg

Eandras1

Advanced Helper
I take my cars to the self serve was and bring my wash bucket filled with PoorBoys car wash and a bucket of clean water. The buckets have covers. I bring my boar hair brush and drying towels. When I get there I do a complete spray down of the vehicle and put on my wheel cleaner and let it dwell. Then I grab the car wash self serve brush and clean the wheels and quickly rinse. Next I begin with the boars hair brush and wash the vehicle with the car wash and rinse bucket. Then I rinse the vehicle when done.

Drying I use spray and wipe and waffle weave towels to finish.

The cold weather makes you work fast.

Ed

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
Hi everyone it has been a while since I posted,
I would like to throw out a recommendation for the Spray mist Full Function 1500 ml. Sprayer. I got mine from U.S. plastics for about 13.00. It has a superior spray pattern and intensity to the average hardware store garden sprayer. The only down side is it has a different thread size for the tip so standard spray nozzles do not fit (I usually swap the tip on regular garden sprayers for a foaming one from a hand spray head).

It is my go to for any time I am going to spray the whole car down with a particular chemical.

ronkh

Da King
I would like to throw out a recommendation for the Spray mist Full Function 1500 ml. Sprayer. I got mine from U.S. plastics for about 13.00. It has a superior spray pattern and intensity to the average hardware store garden sprayer. The only down side is it has a different thread size for the tip so standard spray nozzles do not fit (I usually swap the tip on regular garden sprayers for a foaming one from a hand spray head).

It is my go to for any time I am going to spray the whole car down with a particular chemical.

Cool, THanks Rex

Hope all is well

Eandras1

Advanced Helper

Thanks will look into.

How did you make out with the snow today in Virginia

ShinyRex

Advanced Helper
only about 5 inches of snow so not too bad, but yesterday traffic came to a halt when the flurries started.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper

Thanks for the info. I'll be buying one tomorrow.

ShawnF350

Advanced Helper
Well I Bug Squashed all three of my vehicles. Hand washed two of them after that. The salt and sand has no chance...
The gallon 3:1 I made with the quart product needs a refill. Before I decide on how much I need, does the diluted Bug Squash remove tar? Or do you use it full strength for that?
Usually for my spring and fall details I find it easier just to do the lower panels with bug tar remover before claying. I used to use TW so how do I go about it with the bug squash.
Thanks .....